Melamine Pet Dishware

Melamine dishware manufactured for pets was under scrutiny by veterinary scientists in 2007 because of pet deaths. They were trying to determine if the dishes were causing some hundreds of pet deaths from renal failure due to pet food contamination from using melamine dishes. However, it was found that melamine was also present in the wheat gluten commonly added to many commercial pet foods. This made it impossible to state with accuracy that use of the melamine bowls alone caused the pet deaths.

One conclusion reached was the possible combination of melamine in commercial pet food served on melamine dishware might contribute to what is called "synergistic poisoning"--poisoning that is the result of several sources of toxin in the environment.